Our Church History
the First Christian Church of McPherson, Kansas was organized by Elder E. Russell, with fourteen charter members. The charter of the Christian Church was filed with the Kansas Secretary of State on March 17, 1879. The congregation met in a school house at the corner of Ash St. and Euclid St. On May 6, 1886, the present church lot at Kansas Avenue and Walnut Street was purchased for $1,000.00; and work on a 26 X 46ft little frame church building was completed on December 3, 1887. The total cost of the church was $1,438.75 and the church membership had grown to 124.
an extensive remodeling program began and the little white frame house became a brick church with enlarged auditorium, memorial windows and many other improvements. A lot east of the church was purchased in 1905 and the parsonage was erected on this lot in 1920. Another remodel project began in 1947, including extending the vestibule to enclose the front steps, extending the front of the church to the north sidewalk and adding a large stained glass window. Installing new heating and air conditioning systems, a pastor's study and church office, and renovating the church basement were also completed. Ground breaking for the Braden Education Building took place August 25, 1957. On June 2, 1968, ground breaking was held for the current sanctuary. This included a chapel, church offices, classrooms, and a sanctuary with seating for more than six hundred people.
the property adjacent to the church, 121 South Walnut, was purchased and thus began a ministry of outreach through rental of that house to MCDS clients. In 1994, an elevator was added to the church. In 1997, through the purchase of an additional property, 218 West Elizabeth, the establishment of 'Partners of Recovery,' a ministry of persons recovering from substance abuse began.
Phase 1 began to remodel the sanctuary into the beautiful house of worship we now enjoy!